Home Who we are What we do Sermons Resources How to find us

Where we are today


Hebron Evangelical Church, or simply “Hebron”, is an independent church which is affiliated to the Evangelical Alliance and enjoys fellowship with all Evangelicals of whatever denominational label and with other local churches. Long Ashton is a popular and expanding village close to Bristol and currently has approximately 6000 residents. Some are life-long residents while over recent years there has been an influx of newcomers who occupy newly developed estates of privately owned homes. There are also older council properties. There is one other church, the Anglican Parish church of All Saints with whom we have a good and developing relationship.


Membership currently stands at 36 and an average Sunday morning congregation is around 50. Evening services are less well attended with an average of 15 attendees. Hebron is an exciting mixture of people from varied backgrounds:- Baptist, Methodist, Pentecostal, Salvation Army, Anglican and Roman Catholic. Ages range from the cradle to the 90s. For several years some members have attended Spring Harvest and Soul Survivor. The older young people join in with city-wide events such as The Mix and various Christian camps attract others throughout the year.

Where we are coming from


In the later 1920s a young Christian, Ernest Dyer, and his sister came out from Bristol every Sunday and held a Sunday School for the children of Long Ashton. He built a meeting place on Providence Lane which also doubled as his home. Hebron was officially established as a church in 1934, with Ernest Dyer as the Pastor, a position he occupied until his death in 1967. The church was named “Hebron” because an aim was for it to be a “place of refuge”. Since then much has changed but Hebron has remained a thriving church.